Chicken fried steak is a lot of things to me, it’s an easy homemade treat, a childhood memory, a comfort food. The list goes on and on. For the most part it’s and extremely good southern food that doesn’t always get the justice it deserves.
Chicken Fried Steak
Prep Time : 10 min
Prep Time : 20 min
Total Time : ,
- 6 pieces cube steak, about 2 pounds
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup all purpose flour, divided
- 25 Saltine crackers, crushed
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup milk
- Vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups whole milk
- Season cubed steak lightly with salt and pepper.
- Place 1/2 cup flour on a plate.
- Mix remaining 1/2 cup flour, Saltine crumbs, seasoned salt, and cayenne pepper in a shallow bowl.
- Whisk together eggs and 1/3 cup milk in another shallow bowl.
- Dredge cubed steak in flour, dip in egg mixture, and then coat with Saltine mixture.
- Heat about 1/2-inch oil in a large pan (preferably cast iron) over medium heat.
- Cook steak in 2 batches for about 3 minutes per side. Remove steak to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Pour oil that is left in pan through a fine-meshed sieve into a heat-proof bowl. Measure out 1/4 cup and return it to pan.
- Add flour to pan and cook over medium heat for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk and cook until thick. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Last Step: Please ‘SHARE’ To Pass On This Recipe to a Friend Or Family Member.