You can make this delicious Zucchini Slice in less than 50 minutes. It’s perfect for brunch, lunch or dinner. I have made this recipe countless time and love it, it’s quick, easy, cheap and delicious.
ZUCCHINI AND BACON SLICE
Prep Time : 10 min
Prep Time : 40 min
Total Time : ,
- 2 Zucchini, grated
- 1 Carrot, grated
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Brown / Yellow Onion, diced
- 2 Bacon Slices / Rashers, diced
- 1/2 Red Capsicum / Bell Pepper, diced
- 5 Eggs, lightly whisked
- 1/4 cup Milk
- 1 cup Self-Raising Flour
- 1 1/4 cup Grated Cheddar Cheese
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 180C / 350F. Line a square (9 x 9 in / 23 x 23 cm) baking dish with baking paper.
- Grate zucchini and carrot into a colander, sprinkle with salt and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a frying pan on medium heat. Add onion and bacon and cook, stirring regularly, until golden. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Using your hands, squeeze as much of excess moisture out of the zucchini and carrot as possible, then place in a large mixing bowl with capsicum / pepper, onion, bacon, 1 cup cheese, flour and baking powder and stir to combine. Add eggs, milk, remaining oil, salt and pepper and stir to combine.
- Pour mixture into prepared tray and smooth the top. Sprinkle reserved 1/4 cup of cheese over the top, then bake for 35-40 minutes, until cooked through and firm to touch. Allow to cool, then cut into squares to serve.
- If you don’t have self-raising flour simply use a mixture of plain / all purpose flour and baking powder. The conversion is 1 cup of flour to 2 teaspoons of baking powder.
How to Store Zucchini and Bacon Slice
- Once the slice has cooled completely, store in an airtight container for up to 5 days, or freeze for up to 3 months.
Tips for making Zucchini and Bacon Slice
- Don’t skip draining the moisture from the zucchini or you’ll end up with a soggy slice! Grate the zucchini and the carrot together and either pop into a colander or into a clean kitchen towel to wring out.
- Feel free to throw in whatever vegetables you have on hand. Mushrooms or corn would work great!
- You can use ham instead of bacon in this slice. Skip the frying step and throw the ham and onion directly into the bowl with the other ingredients.
Last Step: Please ‘SHARE’ To Pass On This Recipe to a Friend Or Family Member.