Perfect Apple Strudel
Total Time : ,
- 180 g butter
- 250 g flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 125 g sour cream
- 2 lemons
- 1.5 kg sour apples
- 125 g raisins in rum
- 100 g minced almonds
- 200 g sour cream
- 150 g sugar
- 0.5 teaspoon cinnamon
- 100 g butter
- 100 g ground almonds
- 20 g powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 200 C. Line baking pan with parchment. Melt butter in little pot over low heat. Scalzi lemons with boiling water, let dry and then grate peel off.
- Sift flour into a bowl. Make a hollow in the top of the mound, pour in melted butter, add salt, sour cream and stir with a fork to blend.
- Empty bowl on the working surface and knead the dough. Roll in plastic wrap and let lay in a warm place while you make the stuffing (about 30 minutes).
- Cut lemons into halves and squeeze out the juice. Peel apples, cut into quarters, take out hearts, slice thin and sprinkle with lemon juice.
- Whiski sour cream with lemon peel, powdered sugar and cinnamon to blend, add raisins in rum and minced almond, pour the blend onto apples and stir together.
- Sprinkle working surface with flour. Knead the dough once more and hit it several times with your fist. Its surface has to become smooth and shining.
- Roll the dough thin. Make short breaks while rolling, to let the dough rest. In between times melt butter.
- Transfer dough onto a colored kitchen towel with help of a rolling pin. The dough must be thin enough to let you see the towel’s pattern through it. Spread 2/3 of butter over the dough. Sprinkle with ground almonds and spread apple stuffing.
- Make a roll, helping yourself with a towel. Holding its bottom with both hands, transfer it onto the baking sheet.
- Carefully tuck in strudel’s ends. Then oil it with rest of butter (you may heat it up a little) and bake for about 50 minutes. When baked, take it out and let cool a little. Sprinkle with powdered sugar, slice and serve immediately with vanilla sauce, while warm.
You have to mince apples very thinly, if you want to obtain clearly-formed strudel. Stuffing has to be well-stirred, and at the same time stuffing in made-strudel has to be crumbly, not hard-packed.
To make vanilla sauce:
Heat milk with pinch of vanilla. Whiski 1 egg yolk with 30 g powdered sugar, 10 g starch and 5 tablespoons cool milk. Pour it into hot milk and stir well. Whisk egg white and add to hot sauce, stir again and let thicken.