First time making tartlets + non-traditional crust recipe does that to you. But the … And it’s paired with this velvety smooth lemon cream filling that is to die for.
Lemon Cream Tarts
FOR THE CRUST:
- 1/2 cup (113g) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup (100g) granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 & 1/4 cups (150g) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon milk
FOR THE FILLING:
- 3/4 cup (150g) granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons (14g) cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup (177ml) water
- 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- zest of 1 medium lemon
- 1/4 cup (59ml) fresh lemon juice (about 2 lemons)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup (118ml) heavy cream
- chopped pistachios for garnish (optional)
TO MAKE THE CRUST:
- Thoroughly grease four 4.75-inch pie or tart pans.*
- Using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat the butter and sugar until fluffy. Mix in the vanilla. Add the flour and salt, and mix until combined. Add the milk and beat until the dough is mixed and holds together when pressed between your fingers.
- Press the dough into the bottom and up the sides of the prepared pans. Using a fork, prick holes over the bottom of the tart dough. Place the pans in the refrigerator for about 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Place the pans on a baking sheet. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until lightly browned around the edges and the center is set. If the edges are getting too brown, cover with foil and continue baking. Cool completely.
TO MAKE THE FILLING:
- Combine the sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a medium saucepan. Add the water and cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until the sugar is dissolved.
- While continuing to whisk, add the egg yolks, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Continue whisking and bring the mixture to a boil. Boil for about one minute.
- Remove from heat. Add the butter and stir until combined. Allow the mixture to cool to room temperature.
- Whip the cream until soft peaks form. Gently fold the whipped cream into the cooled lemon mixture.
- Divide the filling evenly among the baked tart shells, spreading evenly. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving. If desired, sprinkle with chopped pistachios before serving.
*If you don’t have small tart pans, a standard 9-inch round tart pan will work fine. I highly recommend using tart pans versus pie pans. Being able to remove the sides of the pan will make serving simpler.
These tarts are certainly big enough to share, if you want to consider them as 8 servings.
Last Step: Please ‘SHARE’ To Pass On This Recipe to a Friend Or Family Member.