Ham and Cheese Squares taste as incredible as they look! ??
Here’s the ingredients you’ll need to try them yourself! ?
How to make Ham and Cheese Mash Squares.
- 500g potatoes, peeled and chopped in half
- 1 egg
- 50g parmesan
- 2 tbsp chopped chives
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 12 slices gouda cheese
- 6 large slices ham
- 200g plain flour
- 250g fine breadcrumbs
- 4 eggs, whisked
- Vegetable oil for frying
- For the mashed potatoes: Place the potatoes in a large pan and cover with cold water. Season with 1 tbsp salt, place over a medium high heat and bring to the boil. Continue to cook until the potatoes are soft and then pass through a ricer. Add the egg, parmesan, chives, salt & pepper and stir to combine. Set aside.
- For the cheese & ham: Lay a slice of ham on a chopping board and lay over 2 of the slices of cheese. Repeat until all the ham and cheese is used up – you will end on a layer of cheese. Press everything down to keep everything together then cut around the cheese. At this point you will have a large rectangle.
- Cut into small squares – you should get somewhere between 18 and 24 depending on the size of your cheese and ham
- To assemble: Take a small scoop of mashed potato and make a ball. Flatten the ball in your palm and place a ham and cheese square on top of the potato- it helps if you have dusted your hands with some flour.
- Cover the ham and cheese square with the potato and place on a plate. Repeat until all the squares are encased in potato and place in the fridge for at least 20 minutes.
- Gently heat about 1 inch of oil in a large frying pan and turn your oven on to heat up to 160 C
- Take the squares out of the fridge and get your bowls of flour, egg and breadcrumbs ready.
- Place each square first in the flour, then the egg, then the breadcrumbs. Continue until all the squares are covered.
- Fry each side of the squares until golden brown on each side. Then place onto a baking tray and bake for 5 minutes to heat through.
- Leave to cool for 3 – 4 minutes before slicing in half and serving.
Last Step: Please ‘SHARE’ To Pass On This Recipe to a Friend Or Family Member.