This zingy lemon meringue pie rests in a crisp and flakey homemade butter crust and is topped with a mound of light as air Italian meringue making for an easy to make but very special treat!
Grandma’s Lemon Meringue Pie Recipe
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 lemons, juiced and zested
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 (9 inches) pie crust, baked
- 4 egg whites
- 6 tablespoons white sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- To Make Lemon Filling: In a medium saucepan, whisk together 1 cup sugar, flour, cornstarch, and salt. Stir in water, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently until mixture comes to a boil. Stir in butter. Place egg yolks in a small bowl and gradually whisk in 1/2 cup of hot sugar mixture. Whisk egg yolk mixture back into the remaining sugar mixture. Bring to a boil and continue to cook while stirring constantly until thick. Remove from heat. Pour filling into baked pastry shell.
- To Make Meringue: In a large glass or metal bowl, whip egg whites until foamy. Add sugar gradually, and continue to whip until stiff peaks form. Spread meringue over pie, sealing the edges at the crust.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes, or until meringue is golden brown.
Last Step: Please ‘SHARE’ To Pass On This Recipe to a Friend Or Family Member.