– 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs
– 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
– 2 cans (14.5 ounces EACH) chili-ready diced tomatoes
– 1 can (4 ounces) diced and fire-roasted green chili peppers
– 1 can (16 ounces) chili beans
– 1 can (15 ounces) kidney beans
– 1 can (15 ounces) corn
– 1 can (15 ounces) black beans
– 1 cup chicken broth or stock
– 1 tablespoon chili powder
– 1/4 teaspoon each: garlic powder, onion powder, dried oregano, crushed red pepper flakes
– 1/2 teaspoon paprika
– 1 and 1/2 teaspoons cumin
– 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese softened
Optional add-ins: fresh lime, cheddar cheese, sour cream, guac/avocado, tortilla chips, salt and pepper
I use a 6 quart crockpot for this recipe. You’ll want a big one.
Trim any fat and then place the chicken breasts or thighs whole in the crockpot.
Add in the tomato sauce, undrained diced tomatoes, green chile peppers, undrained chili beans, drained and rinsed kidney beans, drained corn, drained and rinsed black beans, and chicken broth.
Add in all the seasonings.
Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours or high for 3-5 hours or until chicken is completely cooked through and easily shreds.
Remove the chicken from the crockpot, shred it, and set aside.
Soften and cube the cream cheese and add to the crockpot. Turn the crockpot on high for 30 minutes stirring every 10 or so minutes to help the cheese melt.
Add the chicken back in and stir until the cream cheese is completely melted. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Serve with your favorite “taco” add-in’s. I love cheddar cheese, sour cream, and fresh cilantro. Also good is a chopped avocado or a bit of guac and tortilla chips.
Last Step: Please ‘SHARE’ To Pass On This Recipe to a Friend Or Family Member.