Turkey Taco Stuffed Sweet Potatoes…that’s a mouthful (but a delicious one). Learn how to make this easy go-to dinner dish
Learn how to stuff sweet potatoes with turkey taco meat. Start by preparing the turkey taco filling with ground turkey, taco spices and other filling ingredients. Prepare cooked sweet potatoes by cutting in half and fluffing the flesh. Top the sweet potatoes with the turkey taco filling.
Turkey Taco Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
Prep Time : 10 min
Prep Time : 10 min
Total Time : ,
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground cumin divided
- 1/4 + 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 + 1/8 teaspoon ground pepper
- 3/4 pound lean (93%) ground turkey
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 1/4 cup canned crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup grated pepper Jack cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced flat-leaf parsley
- Pierce the sweet potatoes all over with a fork. Cook in the microwave on HIGH until tender when pierced with a fork, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Let the potatoes rest until cool enough to handle.
- Cut the potatoes in half lengthwise. Carefully scoop the flesh out of the potatoes and place in a medium-sized bowl. Reserve the skins. With the back of a fork, mash the potato flesh until most lumps are gone. Stir in the olive oil, ½ teaspoon cumin, ¼ teaspoons salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Divide the mashed sweet potato evenly between the potato skins. Place on a baking sheet.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Lightly coat with cooking spray. Add the ground turkey and cook, breaking up with a wooden spoon, until cooked through. Stir in the garlic, chili powder, remaining ¾ teaspoon cumin, oregano, paprika, and remaining ⅛ teaspoon salt and pepper. Cook for 1 minute. Stir in the crushed tomatoes.
- Preheat the broiler. Spoon the turkey mixture into each sweet potato skin. Top each with 1 tablespoon grated cheese. Broil until the cheese is melted, about 30 seconds. Garnish with parsley. Serve.
Last Step: Please ‘SHARE’ To Pass On This Recipe to a Friend Or Family Member.