My Mongolian beef recipe takes this restaurant classic and makes it totally achievable at home, including my tips for how to make a tender beef stir-fry! I will share with you the Secrets to the Best Mongolian Beef!!!
Mongolian Beef Recipe
Prep Time : 10 min
Prep Time : 20 min
Total Time : ,
Mongolian Beef Ingredients
- 2 lb beef stew tips, flank steak, New York strip steak (extra fat trimmed), cut against the grain into thin strips
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup neutral oil
- 4 stalks green onion, green part only, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 3 bell peppers, cut into strips
- 1 large onion cut into 1/4 rings
Mongolian Beef Sauce Ingredients
- 2 tsp ginger powder (or double the amount if using fresh grated ginger)
- 4-5 garlic cloves , minced
- 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp Sriracha sauce (add more or less for desired spiciness)
How to make Mongolian Beef
- In a ziplock bag combine the 1/2 cup cornstarch and 2 lb of cut into strips, close it and shake for the beef strips to be fully and evenly coated in cornstarch.
- Preheat a large skillet over high heat, then add enough oil to coat the bottom of the skillet. Next, add 3 cut up bell peppers and quickly cook them for about 3-4 minutes, stirring often. As soon as the bell peppers are browned slightly, remove them to a separate bowl. Do not overcook them, they should still have a bit of a bite to them.
Lastly, tilt the skillet to the side and remove the bell peppers to a separate bowl, leaving the oil behind.
- Add the onions to the skillet and sear for about 3-4 minutes, just trying to char up the sides. Add more oil if needed. Tilt the skillet and remove the onion to the bowl with peppers, leaving the oil behind.
- Next, add the rest of the oil and add the beef strips, shaking off the excess of cornstarch and cook in a single layer in batches for about 1 minute per side. Transfer the cooked beef to a separate bowl. Do not overcrowd the pan. Beef needs to be seared, not cooked in its own juices. Keep adding the oil as needed after cooking each batch.
Mongolian Beef Sauce
- Drain off the remaining oil from the skillet leaving the stuck on beef bits. <br></br>Next add 1/2 cup of soy sauce, 1/2 cup water and 1/2 cup brown sugar, 2 tsp of ginger powder and the 4 cloves of minced garlic to the pan and let it come to a boil, scraping off the bits off the bottom of the skillet.<br></br>Boil for about 1-2 minutes to reduce the sauce. Then, add Sriracha sauce if desired.
Bring everything together
- Add the beef back into the sauce and stir to coat it in the sauce. Allow to come to a boil, which should thicken the sauce. Next add the bell peppers, cooked onion, and the green onion stalks and stir to heat through.