- 1 package of pre-made pie crust (2 rolls)
- 1 pound of lean ground beef – I use 90% lean, however 80% or less will work – just drain off the excess fat before continuing.
- 1/4 cup diced onions
- 1/2 medium diced bell pepper, any color
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 cup Mexican blended cheese
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 350*F
- Prepare a cookie sheet with a baking mat, non-stick foil, parchment paper or oil. Set aside.
- In a large skillet cook ground beef, onions and bell pepper until beef is cooked through, onions are translucent and peppers are soft.
- Drain any excess fat.
- Add cumin, garlic, salt, pepper, and chili powder to ground beef mixture and cook for 2 minutes.
- Remove from hot burner.
- Roll out pie crusts. Using a bowl similar to a cereal bowl, trace circles onto each pie crust. I can get 3 per crust. A smaller bowl will result in more circles.
- With leftover pie crust, mix together and roll out and continue cutting circles, until all dough is used. I can get 8 total.
- Lay a pie crust circle down. on prepared cookie sheet. Add 2 – 3 Tablespoons of filling to the middle of the circle. Top with 1 Tablespoon a cheese.
- Fold pie crust circle in half, keeping the filling inside, and press edges down with a fork.
- Repeat steps 9 and 10 for all empanadas.
- Arrange empanadas on cookie sheet.
- Beat egg in a small bowl and brush on top of each empanada.
- Bake for 12 – 15 minutes or until tops are golden.
- Remove from oven and serve with your favorite salads, salsas and guacamole.
Please make sure to Like and share this recipe with your friends on Facebook and also follow us on Pinterest to get our latest yummy and easy recipes !