Couscous salad with cherry tomatoes and herbs
Prep Time : 30 min
Prep Time : 15 min
Total Time : ,
Servings : 6.
- 250 g couscous
- 90 ml olive oil
- 2 tsp Ras el Hanout (Moroccan spices)
- 300 g cherry tomatoes
- 2 onions, in thin round slices (300 g)
- 30 g yellow raisins or sultanas
- 1 tsp cumin seeds, toasted and lightly bruised
- 50 g salted, roasted almonds, chopped
- 15 g coriander leaf, chopped
- 15 g mint, roughly torn
- 1 lemon, rip 1 tsp zest and squeeze out 1 tbsp of juice
- salt and black pepper
- Put the couscous in a bowl, sprinkle with 2 tbsp of olive oil, sprinkle with 1 tbsp of Ras el Hanout, ½ tsp of salt (to taste), and generous pepper and pour over 400 ml of boiling water. Stir everything together. Cover the dish with aluminum foil and set aside for 20 minutes. Stir the couscous with a fork so that it becomes free-flowing and allow to cool further.
- Put 1 tbsp of olive oil in a large frying pan and put on high heat. When the oil is hot, add the tomatoes and fry for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until brown and cracking. Put them in a bowl with the juice and sprinkle with some salt.
- Wipe the pan clean, add 3 tbsp of olive oil and put back on the heat. Add the onions, the remaining tsp Ras el Hanout and a 1/8 tsp salt and fry the onions regularly for 10-12 minutes until the onions are deep golden brown and cooked. Remove the pan from the heat, stir the raisins into the onions and let cool.
- When everything is cool, stir the onion-raisin mixture into the couscous. Add the cumin seeds, almonds, herbs, lemon zest and juice, a little more salt and generously freshly ground pepper. and mix everything lightly.
- Put the couscous salad on a dish and arrange the tomatoes on it.
A delicious salad for a barbecue, fits with any kind of grilled meat or also delicious with grilled vegetables.
You can prepare this salad completely in advance, just mix in the lemon zest and zest, the fresh herbs, the cumin seeds and the almonds just before serving.
Next time I will add more tomatoes, which will give the salad a delicious sweet taste.