PREP TIME: 30 minutes
COOK TIME: 35 minutes
ADDITIONAL TIME: 2 hours
TOTAL TIME: 3 hours 5 minutes
- 1 package instant yeast
- 4 – 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, salt, and yeast. Add in vegetable oil, water, and 2 eggs, mixing until well combined.
- Using either a dough hook or a well floured surface, knead for about 10 minutes or until smooth. Transfer to an oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise in a warm place for about 1 hour. It should have doubled in size.
- After an hour, punch down the dough and let rise an additional 30 minutes.
- Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface and divide into 6 evenly size pieces. Roll each piece into about 12 inch logs. Pinch the tops of all six strands together and then take the furthest right strand and cross it over the next two strands to the left, weaving it under the third, and then back over the remaining two.
- Repeat the same process of going over two, under one, and over two for the remaining strands of bread until you run out of space. Tuck the remaining bread strands under to make the loaf look nice and clean. Transfer to a lined sheet pan.
- Beat the remaining egg until smooth and then brush on top of the bread. You may sprinkle sesame seeds or poppy seeds on top or leave it plain. Let rise for an additional 20-30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375. Bake for about 35-40 minutes or until the bread has cooked through and the top is a rich brown.