“Zombie Guts” Halloween Cinnamon Rolls
- 2 tsp active dry yeast
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 ¾ cup warm water
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp red food coloring
- 1.5 cups red velvet box cake mix (dry)
- 2.5 cups flour
- For the Filling:
- ⅓ cup melted butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- For the Glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1-3 tsp milk
- Combine yeast, brown sugar, and warm water in mixer bowl. Whisk thoroughly and sit for at least 5 minutes until bubbly.
- Add in salt, box cake mix, optional food dye and flour a little at a time, mixing in between with a dough hook until you have a dough texture.
- Scrape the sides, roll into a ball, cover, and let rise for 1 hour.
- After an hour, flour a large surface and knead for a few minutes, then roll out into a large rectangle. Cut sides that are uneven.
- Mix together melted butter and brown sugar, and sprinkle over your dough. Sprinkle cinnamon as evenly as possible. Flatten with a rolling pin.
- Roll up into one long roll, then cut every 2 inches. Once rolled, unroll each of them and fold in half.
- Arrange in a greased 8×8 inch baking dish so that it looks like “guts.” Cover and let rise another 45 minutes.
- While dough rises, preheat oven to 350°F.
- Remove cover from dough and bake at 350°F for 25 – 30 minutes.
- Once finished cooking, whisk together glaze ingredients in a medium mixing bowl and drizzle over rolls.