3 cups thinly sliced Vidalia onions (I used about 1 & 1/2 onions)
3 tbsp butter
1 sheet puff pastry (thawed if frozen-I like Pepperidge Farm)
2 tbsp AP flour plus more for rolling out dough
1/2 cup milk
1 & 1/2 cups sour cream
1 tsp kosher salt
5 slices bacon, cooked to crispy and crumbled (4 for pie, 1 for dog
- Pre-heat oven to 350.
- Roll out the pastry until it’s thin enough to cover entire inside, sides and have a small amount hang over sides of tart pan.
- Lay pastry in pan and press all around to fill evenly. Using a fork poke holes in the dough on the base of the pan and in the edges around the outside. Cover the edges with 1 layer of foil and bake for about 15-20 minutes.
- While the pastry is baking prepare the onions. In a medium skillet over medium-high heat melt the butter and then add the onions. cook them until they’re lightly browned. Then remove from heat and set aside.
- In a small bowl beat the eggs and then add the flour and whisk to combine. Then add the milk sour cream, and salt. Whisk to combine.
- When the pastry is done spread the onions over the bottom of the pan and then pour the egg mixture over it. Sprinkle the bacon on top and bake for 30 minutes.
- Serve right away.
I only had about 1& 1/4 cups of sour cream. I subbed a new Greek Yogurt/Cream cheese mix that I had for the remaining 1/4 cup. It worked out fine.
It will help you a lot if you put the tart pan onto a cookie sheet for the duration of the recipe so you don’t run the risk of messing up the edges of the dough getting it in and out of the oven.