Tradiitonal German Apfelkuchen, easy to make, also for beginner:
German Apple Cake “Apfelkuchen”
For the sponge:
- 2 apples (peeled and cut into pieces)
- 125 g (4,5 oz) soft butter
- 100 g (3,5 oz) sugar
- 200 g (7 oz) flour
- 3 eggs
- 1 Tsp vanilla extract
- a few drops lemon extract
- 2 level tsp baking powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 shot of milk (ca. 2 tablespoons)
For the topping:
- 2-3 apples (peeled and cut into slices)
- 2-3 tablespoons apricot-or orangejam
- Grease a springform mould and preheat oven to about 325°(top/bottom heat)-350°(fan oven) Fahrenheit. I prefer top/bottom heat, otherwise the cake seems to get a little bit too dry in my oven.
- Whisk the butter in a mixing bowl and add sugar, vanilla extract, salt and lemon extract little by little until you have a smooth mixture.
- Add the eggs, one after each other for 1/2 minute each on the highest setting. Mix flour and baking powder together and add it to the mixture, alternating with the milk. Now add the 2 apples and fold them into the mixture and transfer the mixture into the springform.
- For the topping, arrange the rest of the apples on top of the sponge and bake it for about 45 minutes. Shortly before the cake the 45 minutes are over heat up the jam so you can spread it all over the top of the cake once you take it out of the oven.
- Let it cool a bit and serve it with whipped cream or vanilla ice-cream. Enjoy! 😀
Last Step: Please ‘SHARE’ To Pass On This Recipe to a Friend Or Family Member.